Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fashion on Film: 'On A Clear Day You Can See Forever'

I recently saw  'On a Clear Day You Can See Forever' directed by one of my all time favorite directors Vincente Minelli. ( Liza's dad for those of you who don't know) Minelli was known  for his 'beautiful eye' and showcasing splendor in every frame. This was Barbra Streisand's third film and was a dream to watch her in contemporary designs by Arnold Scaasi and period costumes created by Cecil Beaton. Streisand plays  a quirky chain smoker who seeks the help of a pychiatrist ( Yves Montand) to hypnotize and help her kick the habit, instead she reveals she's a 19th century courtesan in the English court who falls for a handsome playboy with no means. The vibrant fashions, opulent costumes and shots of 1970 New York City will blow you away.








2 comments:

  1. i really want to see this!! believe it or not, I've never seen one of Babs' movies!

    cheers,
    renata

    scorpiondisco.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am watching this on TV as I type...am in love with the fashions all over again...I first saw it when I was 13. That floral dress with the matching curtains behind looks like an Erdem design. What goes around comes around!

    Oh Renata - you are in for a treat. Do put Funny Girl very high on your list!

    ReplyDelete